A hearty soup to warm you from the inside on a cold winters’ night. Bursting with flavour, it’s guaranteed to satisfy!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- 4cm piece Ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 TBS Vegetable oil
- 3 large Chicken thighs
- 2 whole Star anise
- 6 Cups Chicken stock
- 1 1/2 TBS Soy sauce
- Chilli -garnish
- Spring onion - garnish
- Blanched Asian greens ie bok choy (to serve)
- Cooked Chinese egg noodles (to serve)
- 200 Grams Chicken mince
- 1/4 cup Spring onions, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground white pepper
- 1 TBS Water
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- 20 Wonton wrappers
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound the garlic, peppercorns and ginger into a rough paste. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat and fry the paste for 1 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning, until golden brown. Add the star anise, chicken stock and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the wonton filling. Place the chicken mince, spring onion, sesame oil, salt, pepper, water and corn flour in large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined and sticky.
- To form the wontons, place a tablespoon of the mixture onto the centre of a wonton wrapper. Moisten edges with water and fold in half diagonally, ensuring there are no air pockets. Fold the edges overlapping each other slightly around the top all the way around. Repeat with remaining filling mixture.
- Divide Asian greens, sliced thigh chicken and egg noodles among serving bowls.
- Cook wontons in boiling water for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and divide wontons among serving bowls. Strain the stock and ladle over the top. Garnish with fresh chilli and spring onions