A lovely dense cake with the yummy flavour combination of chocolate and citrus.
Ingredients (makes 1 22cm cake)
- 3 large mandarins, unpeeled
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Almond meal
- 1/2 cup Self raising flour
- 200 grams 70% dark chocolate, melted
- Place whole mandarins in a saucepan and cover with cold water
- Bring water to boil over high heat. Drain. Repeat (this helps to take the bitterness out of the peel)
- Return mandarins to pan cover with cold water,bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 30 minutes , or until very tender.Drain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg. Grease and line a 22 cm springform pan
- Coarsely chop the mandarins and discard any seeds. Place in food processor and process until smooth.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until mixture doubles in size.Add Mandarin puree < flour and almond meal. Gently fold to combine.
- Fold in melted chocolate until combined. Pour in to pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- May be served warm with cream and/or ice cream as a desert or cold as a cake .
Notes... East to prepare and a wonderful cake to use as a desert or for afternoon tea. A mud cake texture with delightful flavors