This Creamy Chicken Mac n Cheese recipe is a great way to use up leftover BBQ chicken and create a filling family meal at the same time. Feel free to change up the veges that you add too. You can of course use gluten free pasta if you want a gluten free option.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 500g Macaroni
- 1-2 cups Shredded Chicken (I use leftovers from a BBQ chicken)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup Frozen Baby Peas
- 2 cups Cream
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 handful Baby Spinach leaves
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup White Wine (optional)
- 1 cup Cheese mixture (I combine mozarella and parmesan)
- Cook your macaroni until just short of al dente (so until it's about half cooked).
- While the mac is cooking, combine the cream, cornflour, garlic, wine, dijon mustard, salt and pepper and whisk well to ensure there are no lumps of cornflour.
- Once the macaroni is done, place in a large ovenproof dish or tray.
- Add the chicken, cheese, corn, peas, baby spinach and mix together.
- Pour the cream mixture over the pasta mix and stir through to combine well.
- Cover with foil (or the lid of the container) and cook for 20mins.
- Remove the lid or foil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. You can add a little extra cheese at this point too if you like.
- Return to the oven for a further 10 - 15 minutes so that the breadcrumbs are nicely crunchy.