These crumbed fish tacos are a variation on the traditional burrito, with a lean protein base of white fish and packed full of fresh crisp flavours. Lime is one of the distinct Mexican flavours and we love it because it is full of Vitamin C, it not only boosts the immune system but aids in digestion and makes everything taste delicious!
Recipe courtesy of Danielle Essey on behalf of Michele Chevalley Hedge and My Family Wellness.
Is your bathroom as clean as your kitchen? Might be time to rethink what you’re using. See why Dettol Healthy Clean Bathroom Rapid Foam is rating so well in MoM member REVIEWS.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 6 flat head fillets, depending on size (approx. 700g total).
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs, or gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ear of corn, steamed and kernels removed from cob
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 420 gram tin organic red kidney beans
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only (discard the stems), washed and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp rice malt syrup or palm sugar
- 3 limes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
- 1 pack wholegrain tortillas, corn tortillas for gluten free alternative
- Prepare fish by cutting into 3 inch portions.
- Pour panko crumbs onto a plate and separately whisk eggs in a bowl with sea salt.
- Dip each fish portion into the egg mixture then roll in panko crumbs to coat and set aside until ready to cook.
- To prepare the bean salad, place all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, excluding palm sugar, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Mix juice of 2 limes, with sugar and pour over salad. Season with sea salt and chilli flakes. Stir to combine then set salad aside to marinate.
- To cook the fish, heat oil in a deep fry pan, once oil is hot, carefully place fish into pan. Depending on thickness of your fillets, it should only take 2-3 mins each side to cook through.
- Tortillas can be warmed in the microwave or in oven. Arrange tortillas or corn chips on serving plates, top with bean salad and 2 fish portions. Serve with lime wedges and extra coriander leaves.