This dark chocolate mousse is an all time favourite. And perfect for so many different occasions.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 350g Dark Chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa)
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 Eggs
- 20g Butter
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 300 ml Thickened Cream
- 3 - 4 Mint Leaves for Garnish
- In a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water) combine the dark chocolate, the butter and the Nutella. Stir gently until melted through and combined. Set this aside to cool down slightly.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg yolks aside. Whisk the egg whites until lovely soft peaks form. Then a tablespoon at a time add the caster sugar while you continue whipping.
- Now check the chocolate mixture and if it is roughly the temperature of a warm bath, add the 3 egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and gently fold through until well combined. Don't beat it too vigorously - you don't want big air bubbles or scrambled eggs.
- Now fold the egg white 'foam' through the chocolate mixture followed by the cream.
- Spoon into any serving glasses that take your fancy and place into the refrigerator to set.
- When ready to serve, we topped with a mint leaf. You could also add another dollop of double cream or sprinkle some roughly chopped hazelnuts onto the top (to enhance the Nutella flavour).