This dark chocolate mousse is an all time favourite. And perfect for so many different occasions.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 350g Dark Chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa)
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 Eggs
- 20g Butter
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 300 ml Thickened Cream
- 3 - 4 Mint Leaves for Garnish
- In a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water) combine the dark chocolate, the butter and the Nutella. Stir gently until melted through and combined. Set this aside to cool down slightly.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg yolks aside. Whisk the egg whites until lovely soft peaks form. Then a tablespoon at a time add the caster sugar while you continue whipping.
- Now check the chocolate mixture and if it is roughly the temperature of a warm bath, add the 3 egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and gently fold through until well combined. Don't beat it too vigorously - you don't want big air bubbles or scrambled eggs.
- Now fold the egg white 'foam' through the chocolate mixture followed by the cream.
- Spoon into any serving glasses that take your fancy and place into the refrigerator to set.
- When ready to serve, we topped with a mint leaf. You could also add another dollop of double cream or sprinkle some roughly chopped hazelnuts onto the top (to enhance the Nutella flavour).
Notes... We love this chocolatey dark chocolate mousse. It's quite quick, very easy to make a double batch and always a favourite with everyone. For a grown-ups version of this recipe, you could add a splash of Frangelico when you fold in the egg whites and cream. It's also fun to put the whole mixture into one big serving dish and just hand out spoons (you would have to be OK with double dipping though)!