Spread this Date and Banana Bread with a dash of butter for a healthy school snack … the kids will love to see this in their lunchboxes!
Ingredients (makes 1 Large loaf)
- 1/2 Traditional rolled oats
- 1 TBS Coconut oil
- 1 TBS Pure maple syrup
- 1 cup Mashed ripe banana
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 3/4 cup Pitted dates, chopped finely
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1 tsp Bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 Coconut oil (extra)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 10cm x 20cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- Combine walnuts, oats, coconut oil and maple syrup in a bowl. Place half the walnut mixture on a baking-paper-lined oven tray. Bake 10 minutes or until golden; cool.
- In a food processor, mix banana, extract, Greek yoghurt, buttermilk and dates until smooth
- Sift flour, soda and baking power over banana mixture, add extra coconut oil, cinnamon and roasted walnut mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into pan, smooth surface. Sprinkle with remaining walnut mixture
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the oats on top start to brown up too quickly, cove the cake with alfoil loosely for the first half of cooking and then uncover for the last part to finish browning up.
- Leave in pan 15 minutes, then turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.