A quick, easy and delicious soup that is a meal in a bowl. A wonderful winter warmer.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 cups vegetable real stock
- 100g sliced pancetta, torn (optional for a vegetarian option)
- 2 tablespoons torn sage leaves
- 700 g ready made gnocchi
- cream, to drizzle
- roasted butternut pumpkin shell (optional)
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Using a hand held blender, process soup until smooth. Season.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta and sage for 4-5 minutes or until crisp.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook gnocchi for 2 minutes or until tender and they rise to the surface. Drain.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Add gnocchi and top with pancetta mixture and a drizzle of cream OR place into roasted butternut pumpkin shell.