Protein from animals is usually a higher quality than vegetable protein. This is not the case for this recipe, as the combination of cereal (corn) and kidney beans has increased the quality of the protein, making it an ideal vegetarian meal.
Variations: For a lower fat count omit avocado or omit tortilla strips for a plain salad.
Ingredients (makes 6 as a side dish)
- TORTILLA STRIPS
- 4 small white corn tortilla sheets
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup 99% fat-free French dressing
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced taco seasoning
- 6 cups cos lettuce
- 1 large corn cob cooked
- ½ cup shallots sliced
- ¾ cup red capsicum thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 punnet cherry/grape tomatoes cut in half
- 150g avocado flesh diced
- 1 cup no-added-salt kidney beans washed and drained
- Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Tortilla strips: Cut each sheet into ½cm thin strips, then cut strips in half.
- Place onto a flat baking tray that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning over top and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Leave to one side to cool.
- Dressing: Whisk ingredients together until blended.
- To assemble salad: Cut lettuce into large chunks. Place onto a large flat dish or platter.
- Husk the corn, then using a large sharp knife, cut close to the core of the cob and slice corn kernels away
- Sprinkle all salad ingredients over lettuce. For a crisp salad, add dressing and tortilla strips just before serving.