Beautiful fresh tomato soup, tastes better than from a can. A winner with the whole family.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1kg Ripe tomatoes, skinned
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Stalk of Celery, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp Fresh marjoram leaves (or 1/4 tsp of dried marjoram)
- 450ml Water or Chicken stock
- 4-5 Tbsp Double Cream
- 2 Tbsp Chopped fresh basil leaves
- In order to skin the tomatoes, score the skin at the bottom lightly in a cross and boil for 30 seconds, place straight into cold water and the skin will peel off.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and scrape the seeds into a sieve set over a bowl to catch the juice, reserve the juice and discard the seeds. Chop the tomatoes into large chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook over a medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, along with the garlic and marjoram. Cook for approximately 2 mins, stir in the water and reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a stick blender, puree until smooth (or transfer to a blender). Place the soup back on a medium to low heat and add the cream and stir in the basil. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Serve immediately, you can swirl a little extra cream into each serving if desired.