A perfect addition to a baby shower, a morning tea, a champagne breakfast or as a complete 'sometimes' treat for the kids!
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 8 Giant Meringues)
- 4 Egg Whites
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cornflour
- 10 Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees (140 degrees if you have a fan forced oven). Prepare a large flat baking tray by lining with a sheet of baking paper.
- Carefully separate the eggs and set the yolks aside for another day (perfect for homemade mayonnaise or hollandaise sauce). Place all egg whites into a clean and perfectly dry mixing bowl and begin to whisk. You can use a hand-held electric mixer, a stand mixer or you can attempt this by hand if you want a good workout!
- When the mixture holds soft peaks add 1/3 of the sugar by sprinkling over the peaks and continuing to whisk. Repeat this process until all the sugar has dissolved and the peaks are pure white, glossy and very stiff.
- Add the vanilla extract and the cornflour and then whisk for one more minute.
- Blend the strawberries to a puree in a blender and then gently fold just 2 teaspoons through the meringue mixture.
- Place orange sized dollops of the meringue mixture onto the baking tray - make them as peaky as possible and allow space between each to allow for spreading.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Rotate the tray and cook for another 30 minutes. Turn off the heat, leave the oven door closed and allow the meringues to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with double cream.