Just because gluten is not your friend, doesn’t mean you can’t get cosy with some chocolatey treats. This Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Cake should do the trick!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 100 g butter
- 200 g gluten free dark chocolate, chopped
- 120 g caster sugar (1/2 cup)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 25 g almond meal (1/4 cup)
- 100 g mixed berries
- 35 g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon Pure Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line an 18cm spring form tin.
- In a double boiler over medium-high heat, melt the butter, chocolate and sugar. (Or a saucepan part filled with water, then a second saucepan or bowl stacked on top.)
- While the chocolate is melting, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- When chocolate mixture has melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Add egg yolks and whisk until completely incorporated, smooth and shiny.
- Stir through a third of the egg whites and then add the almond meal and stir until combined through.
- Finally, gently fold in the remaining egg whites, until incorporated through the mixture. The mix will look a little curdled, which is perfect.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and cook in oven for 45 minutes. This cake is a hard one to check because the skewer should come out dirty and gooey. Test with a skewer two centimetres in from the edge of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- When cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Serve topped with berries, toasted almonds and a dusting of icing sugar. A dollop of cream is good too!