I fell in love with chutney when my mother in law introduced me to it. Ideal with poached eggs on toast, with cold meats or sandwiches
Ingredients (serves 20 | makes 5 Litres)
- 9kg Ripe tomatoes
- 1.5kg Onions, finely chopped
- 100gm Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tblsp Ground ginger, mixed with enough water to make a smooth paste
- 1.5kg Sugar
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 1.25kg Apple puree
- 1 cup Ezy-Sauce
- Place chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger paste into a large saucepan and boil gently for 5 hours
- Strain through a coarse sieve.
- Add sugar, salt, apple purée and Ezy-Sauce. Simmer uncovered for approximately 1 hour or until a thick pouring consistency.
- Carefully fill hot sterilised jars and seal. Makes approximately 5 litre of chutney. For a spicier chutney, use whole bottle of Ezy-Sauce