This home made Greek yoghurt is very yummy and is a huge money saver for families that go through tons of yoghurt.
Ingredients (makes 2 jars of yogurt)
- 1.6 litres UHT full cream milk
- 100 grams milk powder
- freeze dried starter or
- 100 grams pot set yoghurt
- boiled water
- Place milk thermometer on the edge of a heavy based stainless steel pot. Add 1 litre of milk. Gently heat to 50 degrees celsius all the while stirring to avoid it sticking to the bottom.
- Gently whisk in milk powder until all dissolved. Add remaining milk and heat until temperature is between 37-40 degrees continue to stir throughout.
- Quickly whisk in whichever starter you are using. Check temperature and slowly heat it back up to 37-40 degrees again continue to stir. At this stage you need to be fairly careful about the temperature. Depending on the culture it can be a little forgiving but 37 is ideal.
- Prepare 2 easiyo containers by pouring boiling water up to the bottom of where the baffle sits. Place in baflfle. Pour milk culture into easiyo jars and place jars on top of baffle. Close the lid and leave for 8-12 hours.