I love the addition of yoghurt to this pudding – it keeps it nice and moist and a lot healthier than adding cream. The acidic tang of yoghurt also balances out the sweetness of the pudding.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 1 200gram Yoghurt
- 3/4 cup Milk (or soy milk)
- 3 eggs - whisked
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp rolled - quick oats
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- whisk together eggs, milk , blueberry yoghurt , 3 tbsp brown sugar, vanilla ...add diced sourdough bread - fold together , cover bowl & let the mixture sit for 1 hour in the fridge.
- lightly butter & dust an oven proof baking dish or large ramekin (could also make smaller individual sized puddings) with castor sugar - coating all sides of baking dish.
- scatter frozen blueberries on the bottom of baking dish. spoon the bread mixture over top - spreading it out evenly.
- bake for 40 mins at 170 degrees Celsius with tin foil covering the pudding loosely (I like to bake it in a water bath - assuring the custard mixture doesn't curdle - keeps it smooth & silky)
- after 40 mins remove from oven...combine 2 tbsp softened butter with the oats , 1 tbsp brown sugar , cinnamon , almonds & flour. You should have a rough - clumpy mixture , sprinkle this over the pudding & bake for an additional 10 mins (do not cover with tin foil )...until the topping is golden brown & crisp.
- Can be enjoyed hot or cold...even better with a scoop of ice-cream or frozen yoghurt !