A delicious muffin that is packed with health beneficial ingredients, coconut is rich in a medium-chain fatty acid that can actually help boost metabolism, turmeric is super great for arthritis, oatmeal is great for cholesterol levels and cinnamon can lower blood sugar levels.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 3 red apples, skin on, cored
- 30g butter
- 1/3 cup coconut syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 11/2 cups sweet potato flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 340g yoghurt with coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Linel muffin pans with paper cases.
- Cut 1 1/2 apples into 1cm pieces. Cut the remaining apple into 3-4cm slices. Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced apple, 2 tsp coconut syrup and half the ground turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until golden and almost cooked. Transfer to a plate. Melt the remaining butter in the pan and add chopped apple, 2 tsp coconut syrup and remaining turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until almost cooked. Add desiccated coconut and cook, stirring for a further 3-5 minutes or until the coconut is light golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the oatmeal, sweet potato flour, baking powder, bicarb and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add eggs, oil, yoghurt with coconut, 1 ⁄3 cup water and remaining coconut syrup. Stir until almost combined. Add chopped apple mixture. Stir to combine.
- Divide muffin mixture among prepared pans. Place 2 pieces of sliced apple on top of each. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.