This kale, quinoa and corn salad with shredded chicken is a feast for the eyes and the tummy. Perfect as a meal on its own or if you have a crowd heading over. You can easily switch the chicken for strips of marinated lamb (just add some fresh mint leaves to the mix) or prawns (add a squeeze of lemon and lime).
Is your bathroom as clean as your kitchen? Might be time to rethink what you’re using. See why Dettol Healthy Clean Bathroom Rapid Foam is rating so well in MoM member REVIEWS.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 1 cup White quinoa
- 2 cobs Corn
- 1 large bunch Kale (organic if possible because of pesticides)
- 1/2 punnet Cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups Shredded BBQ chicken
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup Macadamia, walnut or olive oil
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Chicken or vegetable stock powder
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Cook the quinoa in a rice cooker or in a saucepan on the stovetop - I cook quinoa the same way I cook rice except I add 1 tsp of chicken or vegetable stock.
- While the quinoa is cooking, boil the corn cobs and then slice down the length of the corn to remove all the kernels.
- Wash the kale, shake/pat off all the water, remove the hard sinew that runs through the middle of the leaves then arrange on a large flat baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle the oil of choice over the kale leaves very lightly then top with finely chopped pine nuts (or almonds) and sprinkle with salt and a little black pepper.
- Cook in a 180 degrees celcius oven for 10 - 15 minutes - checking regularly and rotating to ensure the leaves do not burn. The leaves are ready when they are crisp to the touch (like chips).
- Combine the quinoa, the shredded chicken and the cherry tomatoes (cut in half) and mix well. Arrange on a large slightly curved platter.
- Arrange the kale chips and the corn over the top of the quinoa mixture and then very lightly toss everything.
- If desired, you could sprinkle a little more oil over the whole salad or a little of your favourite dressing.