Fed up with not being able to find a beef pie recipe I liked, I played around a few times and came up with this one. The meat because its slow cooked, is so tender and melts in your mouth and its bursting with flavour.
Ingredients (makes 1 large family pie)
- 500g beef cubed (use a cut that is ideal for slow cooking ie Gravy)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 TBS Plain flour
- 1/2 cup gravy
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- Worcestershire sauce
- puff pastry sheets
- salt & pepper
- 1 can peas (for the pee puree)
- 3 spring onions chopped (for the pee puree)
- 1-11/2 cups chicken stock (for the pee puree)
- 1/2 large potato, cubed and par boiled (for the pee puree)
- dash red wine vinegar (for the pee puree)
- Use a little bit of oil to lightly cook the onion and garlic. Add the beef and the flour and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add mushrooms, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, gravy, and beef stock, and simmer until thickened.
- Place mixture into a baking dish with a lid, and place into a 180 degree oven for 1 – 1.5 hours checking every 30 minutes and adding more liquid if needed.
- Once cooked, line a lightly greased pie dish (I used individual ones and this mix made 3) with puff pastry. Prick the bottom with a fork and blind bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove and fill with meat mixture. Place another piece of pastry over the top and seal the edges. Brush with beaten egg, and prick the top with a fork. Place back in to oven for a further 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add peas, onion, garlic, chicken stock and par boiled potato cubes to a fry pan and cook until heated through and tender.
- Remove most of the liquid (set aside), and place pea mixture into blender and blend – adding the liquid back in slowly bit by bit, until it becomes a thickened puree.
- Place pea mix with a tomato sauce swirl in a bowl, and a pie on top. Enjoy!