Delicious zingy lemon cupcakes with a lemon surprise in the centre!
Ingredients (makes 14 Cupcakes)
- 125g Butter, softened
- 125g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 100g Self raising flour
- 2 TBS Milk
- 2 Lemons
- 1/2 -3/4 cup Lemon curd
- 175g Butter at room temperate
- 300g Icing sugar
- Lemon zest & juice (optional) add to personal taste
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, flour, milk and the zest of the two lemons and a little squeeze of juice. Mix together until smooth and well combined
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases being careful to not over fill
- Bake in a 160 degree oven for 12-18 minutes until light golden in colour and cooked through. Allow to cool completely
- Make the icing by whisking the butter in a bowl, and gradually adding in the icing sugar until incorporated. If wanting to add the lemon zest and juice, add these in now.
- When the cakes are cooled, carefully with a small knife, cut a small hole in the top of each of the cakes, and remove the piece to create a small divot.
- Place some of the lemon curd in each of the holes, then gently replace the lid.
- Pipe the icing on top of the cakes, covering the hole. Decorate how you wish!
Notes... These are best eaten within a couple of days. Keeping them in the fridge will change the texture from light and fluffy to more dense - but they're yum like this too!