Little lemon meringue pies using the microwave, so easy. Beautifully tangy filling.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 Pack of sweet biscuits (i.e. scotch finger)
- 100g Butter (melted)
- 3 Lemon's juiced (about 200ml)
- 2 or 3 Grated Lemons for Zest
- 3/4 cup Sugar (white or caster) for filling
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Cornflour
- 3 Egg yolks, whisked
- 3 Egg whites
- 1/2 cup Sugar for topping
- pinch of salt
- BASE Blend the biscuit pack in a food processor. Melt/soften the butter in the microwave, about 30 seconds. Add to biscuits and blend.
- Pour biscuit mix into round base. Press down and around the edge. OR To make little pies, pat biscuit base into muffin trays. N.B. Can use a china baking dish or normal cake tin with removable base. If you fill up your tin make a couple of mini pies as well to use up the biscuit mix. Silicon works best for little pies to get them out easily. Put the base in the fridge and chill for at least half an hour. (You can make the base the night before).
- FILLING Using a microwavable dish add the cornflour to water. Stir until smooth. Add the sugar (3/4 cup) and stir until combine. Put in microwave for 5 minutes. Stir when taken out and allow to cool slightly.
- Separate egg yolks from whites. Set egg whites aside for later. Give the egg yolks a quick stir to break them up. Juice lemons and finely grate zest. Add to the eggs. N.B. The more lemon zest you add the tangier it will be. If you don't have real lemons, bought lemon juice will do.
- Add the eggs/juice to microwave dish and stir in. Reduce microwave to 80% power and microwave for 3 minutes. N.B. Either let the microwaved mix cool slightly before adding the eggs/juice OR add a dash of hot water to the eggs/juice and stir otherwise the eggs will cook.
- Add the filling to the base. Put in fridge for at least half an hour. N.B. Letting it chill helps it set once cooked. If you are in a hurry and don't mind a sloppy filling you don't need to chill. You can complete this part along with the base prior to cooking.
- TOPPING Beat the eggs until stiff/shinny. Egg should stay on beater when lifted up. May take 5 minutes. Add sugar (1/2 cup) a little bit at a time. Add a pinch of salt at the end and beat to help stiffen. Spoon topping onto filling.
- Heat oven to 170 degrees or 150 fan forced. Cook for 15 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Eat hot or wait for it to cool.