A traditional eggnog recipe, creamy and rich, but much lower in fat.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 385ml tin evaporated milk
- 385ml Fresh milk
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mixed spice
- 4 Egg yolks
- 100g Sugar
- 200ml Light rum
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Pour evaporated milk into a jug with the rum.
- Fill the empty tin with fresh milk
- Combine milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, mixed spice and cinnamon in a saucepan, (or stick it in a bowl in the microwave for about 2 mins!) and warm up on low heat for 5 mins - whisk so it gets a little fluffy as you heat it.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy.
- Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. (You can add a little evaporated milk first to loosen the eggs and sugar and reduce the likelihood of scrambling the eggs)
- Sit bowl on top of saucepan of simmering water and whisk for 3 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Strain to remove any lumps of cinnamon (or cooked egg if it got too hot!) and pour into the jug of evaporated milk and rum.
- Stir in nutmeg. Stick it in the fridge until temptation gets the better of you. Serve with a little nutmeg on top.