The beauty of this minestrone dish is that it gets better with age. It always tastes better when you’re enjoying the leftovers the following day!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 1 clove Garlic (diced)
- 1/2 tsp Basil (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 1 stick Celery (diced)
- 125g Bacon (diced)
- 1 tin Diced tomatoes (400g)
- 8 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tin Red kidney beans (400g), rinsed and drained
- 100g Spaghetti (broken into pieces)
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent (approx. 5 mins).
- Add the garlic, herbs, bacon and celery, and cook until the mixture starts to brown (5-10 mins).
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the spaghetti (or other pasta of choice) and cook according to packet directions (approx. 10 mins).
- Add the kidney beans and heat through.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.