A traditional Filipino fluffy chiffon cakes in individual moulds, perfect for snacking.
Ingredients (serves 15)
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted, plus more for brushing moulds
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs yolks and whites separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Generously brush paper molds with butter and set aside.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and 1/3 cup sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, water and butter in a bowl of a standard mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at low speed until well blended. With mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients and continue mixing for 3 minutes or until well blended. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until egg whites double in volume. While beating, add cream of tartar and sugar until medium peaks form.
- Gently and swiftly fold in the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Fold in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese. Divide the batter evenly among the molds. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in cooling rack. When cool, brush tops with butter, sprinkle sugar and top with grated cheese.