The whole family loves this filling Mediterranean macaroni cheese.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 400 g macaroni
- 60 g butter
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium red capsicum, sliced
- 150 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup passata
- 1/3 black olives, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups pizza cheese
- basil (as desired)
- Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling water, then drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then cook the onion, garlic, capsicum and mushrooms, stirring until softened.
- Add flour, stirring until the mixture thickens. Gradually stir in the milk.
- Add passata, stirring until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Add the cooked macaroni, olives, basil and half of the cheese into the sauce.
- Place mixture in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Grill until the cheese melts.