This is great recipe for making with your children. It’s quick which means less time to get impatient, it’s pretty – they can choose what colour(s) to add to the mixture before baking, and the results taste great. Licking the beaters is yummy too!
Ingredients (makes 24 small meringues)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 drop gel food colouring
- Preheat oven to 140C. Get out 2 eggs and leave until at room temperature. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Separate the 2 eggs, keeping the yolks for custard or something else.
- Whisk the egg whites at top speed using an electric mixer in a clean bowl. They are ready when they egg whites are stiff enough that you can tun the bowl upside-down without losing any of the egg white. My girls loved that part!
- Reduce the speed of the mixer. Continue to whisk, adding the sugar about a tablespoon at a time. When all the sugar has been added whisk until the mixture is glossy and stands up in peaks.
- Choose your food colouring(s) and divide the meringue mixture into as many portions as you have colours. Add one drop of gel paste colouring to each portion and mix in.
- Blob onto the lined tray - about 2 teaspoons per meringue. Allow about 2cm between them for speading.
- Bake for 40 min. This results in crisp outsides and chewy insides.