This cake is incredibly yum. Moist, and super easy to make, it is a winner. The icing is very rich, I would suggest a drizzle, as opposed to coating it as I have done.
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 8 slices)
- CAKE: .
- 125G unsalted butter at room temperature
- 230G / 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225G / 1.5 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 125ml / .5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of half an orange
- ICING: .
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbs orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 240G / 1.5 cups icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a 20cm ring cake tin and line with baking paper
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, then beat a further two minutes. Gradually add the flour. Alternating with the orange juice, zest and fold into the mixture. Place the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, cream the butter and then slowly beat in the orange juice and icing sugar until the mixture is smooth and thick. If you prefer a runny icing, add a little more orange juice. Spread the icing over the top of the cake