MoM loves this Moroccan sausage roll recipe from SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. A wonderful low calorie recipe for mums to make for all the family!
Ingredients (Serves 24)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup skim milk
- 500g lean pork and veal mince
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger (in jar)
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint finely chopped
- 2½ tablespoons Moroccan seasoning (Masterfoods®)
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind finely grated and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16 sheets filo pastry (Antoniou®)
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with milk. Let soak for 1 minute then place into a large mixing bowl with all other ingredients except filo pastry and paprika. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together well. Leave to one side.
- Coat one sheet of filo pastry with cooking spray, then top with another sheet and spray over top. Repeat until you have 8 sheets in total. Cut in half. Repeat with remaining 8 sheets of filo.
- Divide meat filling into 4 equal amounts and roll each one into a long sausage shape that will fit the length of prepared sheets.
- Tightly but gently roll the sheets away from you (like a Swiss roll) leaving the cut edge to go underneath roll. Repeat with other 3 sheets.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half then cut again into 3 small rolls. This gives you 6 per roll, making a total of 24 sausage rolls. Place each roll onto a large flat baking tray that has been coated with cooking spray, then spray tops.
- Sprinkle a little paprika over each roll.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Suitable to be frozen.
Dieticians Tip – What a fantastic dish to have with pre-dinner drinks followed by a Moroccan meal. Moroccan seasonings often include turmeric, cumin and coriander, all of which are high in antioxidants and help reduce cancer-producing free radicals.