When I found I had a bunch of small amounts of seeds and nuts left in the baking cupboard, was light on funds and had lunch boxes to fill I came up with this recipe & it worked a treat!
Ingredients (makes 20 Bars (depending on shape & size you decide on))
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup wheatgerm
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups mixed seeds & nuts (whatever you have, pumpkin, chia, sunflower, etc)
- 125 g butter
- 1/2 cup honey (use local fauna honey to optimise health benefits)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- In a large bowl place oats, wheatgerm, coconut & sultanas &; set aside.
- Lightly toast your nuts and seeds in a dry pan and add to dry mix.
- In a small pot on low heat, melt butter, sugar & honey until dissolved and combined. Increase heat and bring mixture to boil and then lower to a simmer and continue to heat until a small drop plunged into cold water turns into a soft little ball.
- Add wet mix into dry mixture & combine. Press mixture into a lined 20x30cm tray and cool. Once cool, turn out and cut into bars (in the one pictured I coated bottom with milk chocolate but this is optional).