Mushrooms are packed with nutritional value, and can help to boost your immune system, which is perfect on these cold and dreary days! This Mushroom Ragu with Creamy Polenta is a perfect way to take advantage of all the humble mushroom has to offer – not to mention, it’s delicious!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 80g Butter
- 1 Leek, washed and sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 sprigs Thyme - leaves removed and stem discarded
- 3/4 cup Vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 50g Baby spinach leaves
- 500ml Milk
- 500ml Vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup Polenta
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan + extra for serving
- Mushroom Ragu: Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the leek and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the leeks are softened. Add mushrooms and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring gently so as to not break up mushrooms.
- Combine stock with the cornflour and stir into mushroom mixture. Cook over medium heat for a further 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Fold through the spinach and remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Polenta: Combine the milk and stock in a medium heavy-based saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until the polenta is soft and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and parmesan.
- To serve, spoon the creamy polenta onto serving plates and top with the mushroom ragu. Scatter with a little extra parmesan and cracked black pepper