This beautiful apple pie recipe is courtesy of Weight Watchers and only has 4 ProPoints value per serve.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1.8kg small Granny Smith apples, quartered
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 tbs icing sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup (60g) Weight Watchers Canola Spread
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 19cm (base measurement) pie dish with oil.
- Combine apples, caster sugar and cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, gently turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apples are just tender. Drain. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift flours, icing sugar and salt into a large bowl. Using fingertips, rub spread into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add vanilla and 2 tablespoons water. Gently stir until mixture clings together, adding more water if pastry is too dry.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds or until just smooth. Roll pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to form a 24cm round. Place pastry (still between baking paper) on a baking tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spoon apples into a prepared dish. Top with pastry round and trim excess. Crimp edge with a fork to seal and cut a few small slits in the pastry top. Brush pastry with egg and bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve with low-fat custard. (Add 1 ProPoints value per serve for 2 tablespoons).