This recipe for Onion and Pineapple Chutney is so easy! Throw everything into the slow cooker overnight. 12 hours later your Onion and Pineapple Chutney is ready to bottle!
Ingredients (makes 6 Bottles)
- 1 large Fresh Pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 medium Brown Onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard (you could use Hot English if you like a little more fire)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 100 mL Vinegar (White, Apple Cider or White Wine)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- Bunch Fresh Bay Leaves (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for a minimum of 12 hours (stirring occasionally if you are there but don't worry if you are not).
- Remove the lid and give the mix a good stir. To test if the relish is ready, put a small teaspoon of relish onto a clean plate and allow to cool. Once it cools it will thicken a little more. It should be a lovely thick relish once cooled.
- If the mixture is too watery remove the lid and continue to cook until the mixture thickens (test by using Step 3 every hour or so). If it is too thick, you can add a half cup of water and stir through. Allow to cook for another half hour once you have added water.
- If you are not going to preserve for later, spoon into bottles, store in the refrigerator and use up quickly.
- If you are going to preserve for later, be sure to use properly sterilised preserving jars.
This Onion and Pineapple Chutney is always a winner. Use it liberally on fresh or toasted sandwiches, add it to marinades for chicken and pork on the BBQ, add a dollop to your cheese platter to serve with cheese on a cracker or serve as a side with curries.