Beautiful subtle orange flavoured pastry for mince pies.
Ingredients (makes 16 )
- 500 g plain flour
- 175 g icing or caster sugar
- 375 g butter
- 1 orange (finely grated rind and juice of large orange)
- Sift flour and sugar into mixing bowl.
- Cut butter into small pieces, stir into flour mixture then rub gently with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in grated orange rind, then using a knife sir in the orange juice until dough just begins to stick.
- Roll into a ball and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- Roll out thickly and cut circles using a 7.5 cm circle for the base. Use any shape for the top roughly 5cm in diameter.
- Butter tray. Put larger circles in muffin tray. Add a large teaspoon of any type of fruit mince to each. Place smaller shape/circle on top. If using a circle cut slits in the top.
- Cook for approximately 15 - 20 minutes at 220 degrees (until golden brown). Sprinkle with icing sugar for decoration once cooled.