For a healthy meal, you can’t go past this quick but substantial salad. Low in fat, high in protein, gluten-free and bursting with flavour. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) has a nutty flavour with a slightly chewy texture. It is being called the new ‘super grain’ (even though it is a seed) because of its amazing health benefits. This recipe is the perfect way to use leftover roast pumpkin. So next time you are cooking a roast, double up on the roast pumpkin and you will have an easy head start.
Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? Read the DETTOL Liquid Hand Wash reviews here
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 50 g sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 400 g roasted pumpkin
- 4 handfuls rocket leaves
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 handful flaked almonds, toasted
- 50 g feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons white condiment (white balsamic vinegar)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Heat saucepan and add quinoa to toast for a few minutes until it starts to crackle. Remove, rinse and then place back in the saucepan. Add stock and bring to the boil. Place a lid on the saucepan, reduce heat to medium–low and simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t lift the lid. When time is up, remove from the heat and stand for a further 5 minutes (without lifting the lid). Allow to cool slightly.
- Steam peas for 1 minute until they are bright green but still crisp. Drain, fill pot with cold water and drain again to stop them from cooking.
- To make dressing, shake ingredients in a jar until combined. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Toss cooked quinoa, peas, pumpkin, rocket, onion and mint leaves together in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad and combine. Sprinkle with flaked almonds and feta. Serve cold or warm.