Friday 26th June 2015 is Red Nose Day. Red Nose Day is the major fundraiser for SIDS and Kids.
Do hope you like my vanilla slice and the cheery cherry to represent the red nose.
Ingredients (serves 16)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 60g butter, chopped
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- FOR THE PINK ICING:
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 10g butter, melted
- rose pink food colouring
- 1 pk glace red cherries
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Place milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until almost simmering (don't boil).
- Using an electric mixer, beat yolks, sugar and vanilla until thick and creamy. Add cornflour and custard powder. Beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk mixture. Return mixture to pan.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture boils, thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted and smooth. Place in a bowl. Cool slightly. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place 1 pastry sheet on each prepared tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Cover with a tea towel. Using hands, gently press pastry to flatten.
- Lightly grease a 6cm-deep, 23cm (base) square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 3cm overhang on all sides. Place 1 pastry sheet in prepared pan. Pour custard over pastry. Top with remaining pastry sheet. Cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Place icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Stir in rose pink food colouring until a spreadable consistency forms. If you like it a little more runnier add a small amount of milk. Spread icing over slice.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until set. Lift slice from pan. Cut into 16 squares. Place a red cherry onto each square. Serve.
- Please enjoy!