Make your Christmas extra special with a festive twist on a roast chicken. It not only looks pretty, it tastes delicious too!
Ingredients (makes 1 Large 2kg chicken with stuffing)
- 1 x 2Kg Inghams Whole fresh chicken
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- FOR THE STUFFING
- 1 Brown onion, halved and finely diced
- 1/2 cup Dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup Unsalted pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups Fresh breadcrumbs (approximately 8 pieces of day old white bread)
- 1 Egg, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup Finely chopped fresh continental parsley
- To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, cranberries, pistachio and garlic and cook, stirring until onion softens. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, remove crusts from the bread (discard) and cut into chunks. Place into a food processor and pulse until the bread is broken down into smaller crumbs. You don’t want them to be super fine, so make sure to not over process
- Place the pistachio mixture in a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, egg and parsley and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Rinse chicken cavities under cold running water, and pat dry with paper towel inside and out.
- Spoon the pistachio mixture into the chicken cavity. Close cavity opening with toothpicks and tie the legs together with un waxed white kitchen string.
- Line a large roasting pan with non-stick baking paper or alfoil, and place the chicken in the pan. Brush with oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast for around 1 hour and 45 minutes (25 minutes per 500g of meat in an electric oven) or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thigh.
- Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest. Place chicken on serving platters and serve with pistachio stuffing and parsley.