Not your typical caramels, these Salted Date Caramels are sweetened using fresh dates! Created by fitspo superstar – Sophie Guidolin Why not make these homemade Salted Date Caramels for Easter this year? Or for a party treat to bring to your next party?
Ingredients (makes 15 Caramels)
- 2 cups (310g) fresh dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup (150g) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (25g) cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, extra, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut flour
- Extra, for sprinkling sea salt flakes
- Place dates in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water; stand for 10 minutes to soften. Drain dates; discard water.
- Meanwhile, melt oil in a small saucepan; combine oil and sifted cacao in a small bowl. Stand until thickened slightly.
- Process dates, vanilla, extra oil and salt until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl; cover and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place flour in a small bowl. Using damp hands, roll teaspoons of the date mixture into balls. Roll balls in coconut flour then freeze for 15 minutes minimum.
- Take the balls out of the freezer and using a spoon or skewer, dip date balls into cacao coating, then place on tray. The fact that the balls are cold from the freezer will help the cacao coating set quickly.
- Sprinkle with extra salt. Freeze for another 10 minutes or until set.