If you’re looking for a healthy light scone, look no further than this recipe from Summer TABLE – ready in less than 20 minutes with no mess or fuss.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 200 grams spelt flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup cream
- ⅓ cup lemonade (room temperature)
- extra flour
- milk or beaten egg for glazing
- 300 ml thick cream
- 250 grams strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 210C. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Add cream and lemonade to the flour and gently mix until soft and sticky. Be careful not to over-mix, 3–4 stirs should do it.
- On a board dusted with flour, turn the dough out and pat into shape (about 3 cm high). Using a round 5–6 cm cookie cutter cut out scones. Do not twist the cutter, just push. Place onto a baking tray (lined with greaseproof paper and dusted with a tablespoon of flour), so the scones are touching each other. Glaze tops with a little milk, and bake in the top rack of the oven for 12–15 minutes.
- Serve while scones are still warm with a dollop of cream and a layer of sliced strawberries.