This smoked salmon kedgeree is a popular and delicious brunch dish in the UK which stems from Victorian times when this recipe was brought back from India. It has got a lovely mild spiced flavour which works so well with the salmon and eggs. The only spice you will need is curry powder, making this a very simple meal to throw together. Even better is that it makes use of your leftover rice.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Smoked salmon fillets (300g)
- 1 white onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablesppons coriander leaves
- Heat the oil and the butter in a frying pan. Sweat the onion, carrot until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder to the pan, stir to incorporate. Add the rice and the lime juice and stir well.
- Flake the salmon over the rice and place the hard boiled eggs around the side. Garnish with the coriander.