The only way to improve the age-old family favourite, pesto pasta, is to add some crispy bacon and creamy fetta. With so many textures and well-loved flavours, their dish is anything but ordinary!
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 2 Red Onions
- 300g Bacon
- 2 bunches Broccolini
- 400g Penne Pasta
- 150g Hello Fresh Pesto (or substitute with homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 100g Fetta Cheese
- 1 Lemons
- GET PREPPED | Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Thinly slice the red onion. Roughly chop the bacon into 1cm pieces. Rinse and chop the broccolini into 2-3cm pieces.
- COOK THE PASTA | Add the penne to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the pasta does not stick.
- COOK THE BACON & ONION | While the pasta is cooking, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add in the onion and bacon and cook for 5 minutes, tossing regularly until the onion is softened and the bacon is lightly browned.
- COOK THE BROCCOLINI | When the pasta is about 2 minutes away from being cooked, drop in the broccolini and give a quick stir. Once cooked, drain and return to the large pot. Add the broccolini, the bacon and onion, the pesto sauce and half the fetta cheese and toss together.
- SEASON TO TASTE | Add lemon juice to taste, salt and pepper.
- SERVE UP | Divide between individual bowls or serve on a large platter. Crumble over the remaining fetta, a sprinkle of salt & pepper and a quick drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!