This sticky pull apart bun does take time to make… but it is amazing! Great for afternoon tea or dessert.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 150gm butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl rum
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 batch basic sweet roll dough..... use your favourite recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 180
- Melt 100gm butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cream; boil until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, vinegar, rum,and salt. Pour all but 1/2 cup of the mixture into an 8-inch-round, 3-inch-deep cake pan. Refrigerate until almost set, about 15 minutes. Set the remaining mixture aside at room temperature.
- Put the remaining 50gm butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave until melted. Put the caster sugar in another bowl. Pinch off tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Dip the balls in the melted butter, letting the excess drip off, then roll in the sugar; arrange in the prepared cake pan in 2 layers, leaving a bit of space between the balls. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour, 30 minutes.
- Bake the bread until puffed and golden brown, about 55 minutes; cover with aluminum foil if the top is getting too dark.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the reserved 1/2 cup mixture on top. Transfer to a rack and let cool 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a plate. Pull off pieces to serve.