I strongly believe we should be supporting the strawberry growers at the moment, so I bought up big and made this cake! You just need to be careful, and cut all the strawberries first.
Ingredients (makes 1 cake)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 - 1/2 punnets Strawberries, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Fresh or frozen blueberries
- Icing sugar to dust the top of the cake (optional)
- FOR THE SYRUP
- 1 punnet Strawberries, diced into small pieces
- sugar to taste
- 2 TBS Water
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 de-grees.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat together 2 eggs with 1 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until light in colour and thick.
- Add 1 cup Greek yoghurt, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla and beat on low speed until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together: 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt until well incorporated. With the mixer on med/low speed, add flour mixture to the batter 1/3 at a time, letting the flour incorporate with each addition and continue mixing just until well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the diced strawberries and half the blueberries, then spread remaining batter over the top. Cover the surface with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, pressing them down just slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean Let cake rest in pan 15-20 min then remove ring and cool to room temp or until just lightly warm.
- While the cake is baking, make the strawberry sauce: Add 1 punnet of chopped strawberries to a saucepan with the water and sugar to taste. Simmer gently until strawberries break down and sauce thickens. Remove from heat, and push through a sieve
- To serve, dust with powdered sugar and drizzle individual slices generously with strawberry syrup if desired .