I made these for afternoon tea for my mum and dad's 40th Wedding anniversary. A buttery biscuit with a sweet jam centre.
Ingredients (makes 15 cookies)
- 175g Plain flour
- 100g Chilled butter, cubed
- 85g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1/4 -1/2 cup Raspberry or strawberry jam
- Additional icing sugar to dust cookies with
- Put the flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a food processor. Dribble in 1 TBS water, and blitz until the mix comes together to form a dough.
- Place onto a work surface, and knead briefly to bring together, then wrap in cling wrap, and chill for 20 minutes. ( If mix is too sticky, add more flour until it comes together a bit more)
- Once chilled, roll out on a floured surface and cut 30 heart shapes. Using a smaller heart cutter, cut a small heart in the middle of 15 of the biscuits
- Bake in a moderate oven for approx. 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- When completely cool, spread some jam on the complete halves of the hearts leaving a small border around the edge.
- Place all the heart cookies that have the middle cut out onto a separate tray and dust with icing sugar.
- Carefully place a heart with the middle cut out on top of the jam cookie and lightly press together.