This Thomas the Tank Engine cake would be a hit at any child’s party!
Ingredients (makes 25- 40)
- 450 grams Butter
- 250 grams Dark Chocolate
- 800 grams Caster Sugar
- 450 ml Hot Water
- 3/4 tsp Coffee
- 400 grams Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 35 grams Cocoa Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 75 ml Vanilla Extract
- Melt the butter, chocolate, caster sugar, hot water and coffee in a large bowl over boiling water.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet base and stir until combined.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract into the chocolate base and pour into a 12 inch square tray.
- Bake at 170 degrees for 45 mins - 1 hour.
- TO SHAPE INTO THOMAS:
Cut the cake in half to create two 6 x 12 inch rectangles. Reserve one rectangle as the base where Thomas' wheels will sit.
- Cut the other rectangle in half into two 6 x 6 inch squares.
- Cut a 4 inch circle, which will become Thomas' face.
- Place the square and circle on top of the rectangle.
- Now the structure is in place it's time to get creative! Begin to shape your Thomas cake by trimming edges and decorating with icing and toppings until you have created your very own Thomas with face, wheels and headlights!