This Tomato and Capsicum Relish is delicious on its own. But of course it’s perfect with any meat as a side, on sandwiches or even on a cheese platter as an accompaniment.
Ingredients (makes 8 small/medium jars)
- 1kg Red Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 kg Red Tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Red Capsicums, finely diced
- 1.5 cups White Sugar
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp All Spice
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, bring the tomatoes, capsicum and garlic to the boil slowly. Simmer over medium heat, stirring often to ensure nothing is sticking, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in all other ingredients and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick.
- Check if your relish has reached the desired consistency by placing a teaspoon of relish onto a plate to cool. If the relish stays together once fully cooled, it is ready.
- Divide into sterilised jars - leaving 1 - 2cm space between the relish and the top of the jar. Place lids on firmly but not too tight. Carefully turn upside down for a few minutes (remember the glass will be very hot).
- Turn right way up and allow to cool slowly (do not place in cold water or the fridge as glass may shatter).