These Tomato and Pesto Pastry Rounds are a really quick, really impressive snack, starter or side dish to whip up anytime.
You can have as much fun as you like with the toppings – just remember to keep the toppings light and not too moist otherwise your pastry will not PUFF!
Nikki Hills x
Founder & Food Editor | Mouths of Mums
Ingredients (makes 20 Rounds (approx))
- 4 sheets Puff Pastry (ready rolled)
- 2 - 3 Tomatoes
- 2 tbsps Pesto (store bought or homemade)
- 2 tbsps Goats Cheese or Fetta Cheese
- 3 - 4 sprigs Fresh Basil Leaves
- Using a pie or cookie cutter (or an egg ring) cut out as many rounds as possible from the pastry sheets.
- Place each round onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (leave 2 - 3cm between each round).
- Spread 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of pesto onto each round.
- Finely slice the tomatoes and place onto a sheet of paper towel to remove excess moisture (so it doesn't make the pastry soggy).
- Add the tomato on top of the pesto and then sprinkle with a few small pieces of the Goats Cheese or Fetta Cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper then cook in a hot (180 degrees celcius) oven until beautifully brown. You may need to rotate halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Serve immediately or even cold.