This tomato and onion tart is easy to make and delicious!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 750 grams brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 300 grams cherry tomatoes
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until light golden.
Add sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180/ 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Cut each pastry sheet in half.
Layer 2 pastry halves together, pressing gently to secure. Repeat with remaining pastry. Place pastry rectangles on prepared trays.
- Divide caramelised onions between pastry rectangles. Spread to the border. Top with tomatoes, olives and basil.
Bake for 30 minutes, swapping trays over in oven after 15 minutes or until pastry is crisp, puffed and golden. Serve.
Notes... Scoring pastry: Scoring the top pastry sheet forms the border for the tarts. Don't cut all the way through, as the border and centre pastry separate during cooking. Keep food inside the border as this holds the centre of the pastry down, allowing edges to puff.
Cut into circles if you wish trim the edges once you have placed a small bowl over the pastry.