Tomato Relish is one of the most versatile condiments to have in the pantry and the fridge … there’s almost nothing that doesn’t taste better with a dollop!
Whether it’s a Toasted Cheese SourDough Sandwich with pickles or some freshly made Sausage Rolls or you’re wanting to whip up a quick Seafood Sauce, tomato relish is your best basic ingredient.
Make up some huge batches of this Tomato Relish Recipe when tomatoes are in season. Summer and Autumn in Australia is the best time for Tomatoes – they will be much cheaper and the flavour will be far more intense.
This tomato relish is so easy to make, double batches brilliantly and is always delicious!
Ingredients (makes 4 large jars)
- 1.5kg tomato
- 500g onions
- 375g white sugar
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- half a handful salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- enough to cover white vinegar
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces and slice onions. Place in a large bowl together. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand overnight.
- Drain off the liquid and put in a large pot.
- Cover with sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Add cayenne pepper.
- Mix mustard powder and curry powder with a little vinegar and add. Boil for a further 1- 1 1/4 hours. Make sure you stir occasionally it so it doesn't burn.
- Bottle while hot.