With my heritage being Tasmanian, I was looking for a tomato relish recipe that reminded me of when I was a child. I found this one on the ABC Tasmania website a couple of years ago and now use it all the time.
Ingredients (makes 6 Medium jars)
- 2 kg Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled cored and chopped
- 500 grams Onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1tablespoon Mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Curry powder
- 500 grams Sugar
- 3 cups White or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1/2 cup Vinegar extra
- Place the tomatoes, apples, onions, garlic, salt, mustard powder, curry powder, sugar and vinegar into a large pot.
- Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved then continue to cook for one and a quarter hours.
- Mix the cornflour with the extra vinegar add to the mixture and stir until thickened.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.