As the weather starts to get a little cooler, you may like to cosy up with this Turkey and Tomato Hotpot. Perfect to throw into the slow cooker in the morning so it’s ready at night. Or just pop it on an hour before you need it in the evening.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 500g Ingham's 97% Fat Free Turkey Mince
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs or Almond Meal if you'd like gluten free
- 1 medium Brown Onion, very finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Egg
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and cut into 1 - 2cm chunks
- 1 Red Capsicum, seeded and cut into 1 - 2cm chunks
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Pinch Dried Thyme
- Pinch Dried Oregano
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- Combine the turkey mince, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, nutmeg, lemon zest and egg in a mixing bowl and combine well.
- In a large, wide lidded saucepan bring the tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, lemon juice, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano to a low boil.
- Roll the turkey mince mixture into small balls roughly the size of a ping pong ball and gently drop into the tomato stock mixture. Once all the turkey mince mixture has been rolled into balls and added, allow the tomato mixture to come back to a very gentle boil.
- Cook uncovered (so that some of the liquid reduces) for 30 minutes. Check often to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- 15 minutes before serving, distribute the carrot and capsicum evenly between the turkey mince balls and cover. You want these soft but not completely mushy.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove the lid and sprinkle with chopped flat leaf parsley. You might even like to sprinkle finely shaved parmesan over the top too with a little more lemon zest.