Tasty, fresh, healthy, and teamed up with a tangy Vietnamese dipping sauce, these rice paper rolls are sure to please. They look very impressive but are relatively easy to make. There is a bit of chopping involved, but it is well worth it. An easy way to use left over Christmas day prawns, and they make great finger food for a summer party.
Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? Read the DETTOL Liquid Hand Wash reviews here
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 100 g vermicelli rice noodles
- 20 cooked prawns, peeled and halved lengthways
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned or grated
- 1 Lebanese cucmber, julienned
- 2 spring onions, julienned
- 1 handful bean shoots
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1 handful coriander, chopped
- 20 rice paper wrappers
- Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- To make the dipping sauce, place sugar and hot water into a jar and shake until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool a little, then add fish sauce, garlic and chilli, and when cool add lime juice. Shake again to combine.
- Place noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soften for 3–5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water then drain thoroughly.
- Line up all prepared ingredients so you can operate an assembly line, and don’t forget to add anything. When you are ready to assemble the rolls, lay a damp cloth on the bench (this helps stop the wrappers from sticking).
- Fill a shallow dish with warm water. Dip rice paper wrappers one at a time into the water for 15–30 seconds, holding a small part of the wrapper. When soft, place on the damp cloth. Place two prawn halves along the middle of the wrapper. Top with a pinch of cooked noodles, and a couple of slices of capsicum, carrot, cucumber, spring onion and bean shoots. Sprinkle with mint and coriander leaves. Fold ends in and roll up firmly to enclose filling.
- Repeat with the remaining rice paper wrappers and fillings. Serve with Vietnamese dipping sauce.