The Vanilla Muffins with Cauliflower & Choc Date Frosting recipe perfect for kids and the whole family from Mandy Sacher; Paediatric Nutritionist and author of Wholesome Child
We’re giving away 10 copies of Wholesome Child Nutrition Guide & Cookbooks. ENTER NOW TO WIN!
Ingredients (serves 24 | makes 24 Mini Muffins)
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower, steamed and drained
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Buckwheat flour
- 1/3 Cup Millet flour
- 1/3 Cup Arrowroot
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- pinch Sea salt
- 1 cup soft medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs coconut cream
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs carob powder
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch Himalayan rock salt (optional)
- To make the muffins, preheat oven to 180 C and line a mini muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Place dates, egg, vanilla extract, coconut oil, apple puree, cauliflower and maple syrup into the processor and process until smooth.
- Next, add all dry ingredients and process until well combined.
- Place batter into mini muffin liners and bake for 15-20 mins or until a cake tester or knife comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack and enjoy them plain, or topped with your favourite frosting.
- To make the frosting, place dates in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Add coconut oil. Allow to sit for at least 10 mins. Once the dates are soft, place the mixture in the blender bowl and add remaining ingredients. Process until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before using on muffins.